The McKnight Boys

The McKnight Boys
(L-R) Gunnar, Parker, Mason and Chase

Thursday, November 1, 2012

30 Days of Being Thankful- Day 1

Hey Friends! So, I know I haven't posted in a while, and I know I need to post about the trip to Aspen Grove and the start of the school year, but I have been waiting for November for a long time.  Over the years I've had several friends post what they were thankful for on their blogs, and soon I had more friends posting what they were thankful for on Facebook.  Remember when I did my week long posting challenge back in May? Well, I figured I would post all month long in November to celebrate what I was thankful for.

 Today, I am thankful for my big heart.  2 days ago we had a Mommy cat and her 6 kittens show up at our house.  They were all very slim, but very sweet and friendly.  Todd pulled in the driveway, and they came running up into the garage. So, being the kind people we are, I asked Todd to get out an old dog kennel and I fixed it up for the little family.  We put out milk and water, and they drank until their little bellies were full.  Todd made some phone calls, but no animal shelters were accepting cats at the time. I emailed the head of the Home Owners Association, but no one responded to my email asking if anyone was missing them.  I think the cat's owner just dumped them in our neighborhood expecting someone to take them in.  We would let them out to run around and eat, and my boys just fell in love with each and every one of them. The twins were so good about picking them up, and even the Mommy let Parker carry her around. We kept them in the kennel in our garage that night, and we had almost all of our neighbors on our street come by to visit them the next day.  I gave them the only "cat food" we had around the house- milk and tuna fish... I know, a stereo-type.  We let them out several times during the day and you could see some of their personalities start to emerge, and the Momma cat was so sweet and easy going.  By late afternoon, my boys had given them names- Fluffy (dark gray and fluffy, hence the name), Tigger (orange with stripes and very aggressive), Sweet Pea (light orange with stripes and very cuddly), Shadow (dark gray with stripes, and he liked to sneak up on me and climb up my back), Mittens (fluffy white and gray with white around his feet), and Jinxy (light gray with stripes).  Last night we finally began calling the Mommy cat "Penny," because honestly it just fit her.  This morning before school, a neighbor brought over some cat food, and they all loved it.  Over a 2 day period you could tell the cats were getting bigger, and even though it was a bit of an adjustment, I got used to getting them in and out and changing out the bedding in the kennel.  As much as it pained me to tell our kids they couldn't keep them, I knew we needed to get them to a shelter to try and get them adopted to a good home.  So, we packed them up and took them to a shelter.  We told Parker that we were taking the kitties home and he said, "No, MY home!" He and Chase cried at the shelter, but I tried to explain that when you take in a pet you have to be responsible and take care of that pet, which means having them spayed or neutered so they can't have babies the owner isn't willing to take care of.  I guess, in short, I'm thankful I grew up loving animals.  I couldn't turn away what I described to my best friend as "a single Mom with 6 newborn babies.

There it is- my first post of the month.  I P-R-O-M-I-S-E to post every day and update our what's been going on with up since the last post. Later, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment