The McKnight Boys

The McKnight Boys
(L-R) Gunnar, Parker, Mason and Chase

Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 4 of my post challenge- FAIL!

I know, I know, I'm posting this on Friday, and not Thursday.  I missed Day 4 of my challenge to blog everyday this week! I do have a good reason, though.  Every night I read a book to Gunnar, and stay with him until he falls asleep. Well, last night, I was so exhausted, I fell asleep with him around 9 pm! Well, I did want to post about the new project I made, so here it is, and I'll post again tonight as well...ya know, to make up for not posting last night...

So, I had previously mentioned that I went to my friend Heather's house earlier in the week.  This is what I got- a plank of wood, and some vinyl letters.  I sanded down the wood, and prepped it for painting.

Like the red?

I decided to distress the edges of the board, and sanded the board again to give it an antique look.

another view of the edges...

Here is the vinyl lettering.  I chose this phrase because my Mom used to sing this song to me as a little girl.  Heather has a vinyl cutting machine (a Cricket Cutter I think?) and she was so awesome to cut this out for me.  I pulled all of the "negative" pieces off, and figured out how I wanted to place it on the board.

Heather explained that using Glad Press 'n Seal wrap was perfect for transferring the whole phrase at one time.  I placed the wrap on the phrase, then used my Pampered Chef scrapper to adhere the letters to the Press 'n Seal.

Then, after I  found my placement on the board, I used the scrapper to adhere the letters to the board, and pulled the Press 'n Seal away from the lettering.

Pretty great, huh? It was a bit of a process, but it was a lot better than placing the letters individually!

Finished with the letters!

Added a few coats of glossy modge podge for some shine, and...


VOILA! The finished product! And yes, my Mom has already seen it.  She came over to watch the twins for a bit last night, and I didn't have time to get it put away before she arrived.  I told her I'd add some hardware for her to hang it, and then she I would give it to her.

So that's it, TADA! Now you know why I've been so busy this week, aside from the 18 item "To Do" list I started my Monday with, the baseball games, the incoming 3rd graders meeting, birthday party, and usual list of wife/Mom duties I've had to do this week.  And, I still have to get a lesson ready for church this Sunday ( I am one of the teachers for the adult women's group, known as Relief Society...yeah, I know, I am teaching on Mother's Day, but I teach on most major holidays that fall on a Sunday!) That's all for now, I'll be posting later tonight, hopefully, if I don't fall asleep with Gunnar again!

1 comment: