The McKnight Boys

The McKnight Boys
(L-R) Gunnar, Parker, Mason and Chase

Friday, September 10, 2010

The Letter

So as I'm driving everyone home from picking Chase up from school I decided to get the mail. I received 3 items- Gunnar's Toys 'R Us birthday card, our mortgage payment, and a letter with "OWNER" written in black Sharpie on the envelope. My heart and stomach simultaneously sunk. I've been fearful all week, dreading the day that the man who's dog I had run over on Tuesday night was going to seek revenge. I thought "this is him telling me he's going to sue, a bill from the vet, or just a letter to tell me what a horrible person I am for running over his dog." I could get out of the car as I pulled into the garage, I had to read it immediately. Below is word for word the letter I received:

Ms:

Tuesday night you were involved in an accident with our dog and unfortunately it was fatal. I do not know if this is appropriate but wanted to tell you that I was 100% at fault; saw it coming but just froze. I should have never had the dog "off leash", even late at night. It was a foolish and immature decision on my part that I have to live with. For the past few day, we have just been in a fog and I don't have the courage to face you without distress thinking of the incident....Once again, you were not at fault in any way; I am truly sorry that you were ever made part of this situation. Please take this little note for what it is- an apology to you. I learned a big lesson for myself that my actions can hurt other as well. Please forgive me from the bottom of my heart.

JM

OK, there it is. It's like this man either read my blog or read my mind. I've been sick over this all week, fearing the worst, and I get a letter from this man apologizing to ME for running over his pet. I was moved to tears, and still shake when I read it. I always think the worst of people, so for me to get this note...it just really restored faith in humanity. In an age where people are so quick to sue or become completely unhinged because they thought they were not in the "wrong," I was surprised to find there are still decent people in the world who take accountability for their actions.

So Sir, if you did somehow read this blog, and by chance are reading it again, I am sorry for what occurred. It was tragic, and I doubt either of us will quit thinking about it anytime soon. You asked me for forgiveness; I prayed that Tuesday night that you would forgive me, and that your family would be blessed should you be grieving the loss of your beloved pet. Once again, I am deeply sorry for your loss.

2 comments:

  1. Although it does not lessen the pain from hitting the dog, I am glad that your neighbor stepped up and accepted the resposibility for his pet.
    It is so sad that it happened at all and could have been prevented by using a leash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a kind gesture from your neighbor. I mean, clearly he was effected by what happened, but taking full responsibility for it. I'm sure it's just eating him up inside and I think maybe the note was a way for him to get a bit of closure to the whole thing, so good for him!

    ReplyDelete