The McKnight Boys

The McKnight Boys
(L-R) Gunnar, Parker, Mason and Chase

Friday, September 3, 2010

Frumpville or Glamourton?

Today the "man clan" and I loaded up and went to the park for a playgroup. It actually started 45 minutes before we made it there, but when you have to nurse twins you find you are rarely on time for anything. I always wanted to be apart of a playgroup, but when I worked they never had them on my day off. The big boys enjoyed playing with their friends, and running around, and it was good to see my girlfriends. My husband teases me for becoming a bit of a hermit since I've had kids, so it's always nice to get out with some of the other mothers from church that I enjoy seeing and talking with.

So my friend, Marche, and I are standing around talking while our kids are playing and I noticed a woman pushing around a huge stroller with two little twins inside. I asked her how old her twins were and the "twin talk" naturally started flowing. We discussed birth weights, feeding schedules, and such. Her fraternal twin girls were only 7 weeks old, and she said she had 2 other daughters and a son. Her oldest looked to be maybe 5 or 6, and here is where the envy started to sink in. 5 kids and this woman DID NOT look like she gave birth...EVER! She was thin, cute, wore makeup, and admitted that she and her husband still have a date night every week. Does that really happen when you have 5 kids? You look amazing, and have an amazing life? As I drove home, I felt a little sheepish. I mean, I'm not a "girly" girl. Never have been, doubtful that I ever will be, but looking at her made me feel...so blah about myself. I mean, I practically live in Frump-ville, where mothers like me do not wear makeup everyday, might be lucky to get a daily shower, and we wear comfortable cotton attire and running shoes. She must have been from that neighboring city, Glamourton, where the mothers wear cute, "dry clean only" outfits and high heels to do chores, or run errands.

I digressed a bit from my train of thought...anyway, my point was it's OK to be who you are. I am a mother who lives in t-shirts (unattractive nursing t-shirts at that!) and shorts. Soon when it's cold, I'll live in long sleeved t-shirts and jeans. So what if that mom of 5 is amazing? Good for her if she can find the time for herself; I'm still working on finding time for me. I do have an ultimate goal of losing weight and dressing nicer when the occasion allows. I believe there are seasons to life, and this is my season to be a stay at home mom with boys who could care less about what I'm wearing around the house. They just want me to watch them cross the monkey bars, or feed them when the need arises, and I'm happy to oblige.

3 comments:

  1. Ah! Amber I love your post! You are so right.. and what I'm about to say will possibly boost your self esteem. I STILL have a hard time getting "life" together with one child. Here's some pathetic stats for you. It took me 10 days to leave the house after Olivia was born. Since it was butt cold, I never took her ANYWHERE. She didn't go to walmart until she was probably 4 months old. I have only taken her grocery shopping like less than 5 times and she is 8 months old! I don't go to play date. And JJ and I haven't been on ONE SINGLE date since Olivia was born. We have no one to watch her, (that I trust). Oh and the clothes... lets just say that the second time I went out without Olivia (while JJ watched her) I looked down at myself while walking around the mall and noticed that 1. I was wearing floods & you could see my socks 2. my hair was oily and ratted 3. My shirt had a hole in the sleeve AND I had a safety pin where my top button use to be. OH yeah.. and I hadn't had sleep for four months straigt so my eyes were red and watery and I probably looked like I was out to kill. Just for the record, I've ALWAYS thought you were/are gorgeous. You don't need anything glamorous when you have your beautiful smile and sparkling eyes. Sorry for the LONG comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalantie, you sure know how to make me smile. Loved your comment, and trust me, it gets easier when you have 4 kids, because you just stop caring about what you look like and what people think when you take your family out. I've found you basically live in "survival mode" all the time. And if you guys were to come back to Tulsa we'd LOVE to watch your little one! She's so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all with you about wearing t-shirts and shorts/capris/pants.

    ReplyDelete